Sunday 27 October 2013

Working in Cebu

At the ripe young age of 65 I have been afforded the fantastic opportunity of working at something I really enjoy and experiencing a completely different culture and environment.

But like all things in life there are the odd hurdles that have to be overcome.

During my travels over the last few months I've come to realise that one thing that is growing far faster than any economy is bureaucracies. All around the world, crammed into every nook and cranny, we have growing numbers of people employed by the state who are there to "look after us".

Protecting us from all the mean and horrible people like money launderers and "terrorists", or unscrupulous capitalists who ignore health and safety and environment issues in the pursuit of profits, or people coming to steal our jobs or our social security.

I have experienced a few instances of these "new age bureaucrats" over the last few months and wonder when their empires will start crumbling? How long the value adding few can continue paying for all these "non value adding" faces.

However I had a very different experience when I went for my interview with the Department of Labour for my work permit in the Philippines.

After the massive earthquake in Bohol earlier in the week their building had been declared unsafe and they were now working from their car park. Carrying on as if nothing had happened. The process all went along smoothly ... although there were some delays as people had to find their way from section to section.
Earthquake building damage - Cebu
I was fortunate enough to have Zenny, our human resources lady, along to take me through the process. We handed in our forms (I'd updated my CV the night before as it had ended prematurely in about 2007!) and had to wait for the person who was to conduct the interview. She was busy in a meeting so we chatted and sat and watched the stream of people coming and going.

A while later the interview lady arrive and started paging through the very impressive pack of duplicated, notarized documents which Zenny had prepared. However, apparently one version of one document had been omitted. The detailed audited financials.

I thought of how often I thought I had everything required by a government department ... but some how there is always something missing.

After some animated conversation between her and Zenny it was agreed that in future this document would be submitted. She then asked me a number of questions about the company and seemed very impressed by where, and for how much, the products were sold. On to me, the questions were routine and quite innocuous and after commenting on the size of my salary she approved my work permit.

Then came time to pay .... PHP8 000 ($200) for the permit for one year.

The cashier was called and came out from another corner of the car park and disappeared with the cash to make out the receipt. As we waited the time (10:00am) came for the breakfast break. An enterprising lady had set up a facility at the gate and was coordinating the food and drinks.

They seemed quite amused when I called this time "tea time" and had obviously never heard it before. That's what comes from being colonised by the Spanish and the Americans ... you never learn British customs.

They chatted away animatedly as they ate takeaways from Jollibee (a very popular fast food chain) and some street made local dishes.

A while later the cashier returned and there was the normal admin of signing forms. As we were about to leave, the lady who had done the interview, gave me two warnings.

Firstly that the renewal of the permit must be at least one month before it expires ... one day late and there is a PHP 20 000 ($500) fine. Secondly, don't do anything illegal. Which from that I assumed that foreigners have a reputation for unsavoury dealings and practices.

I assured her that I had no such intention (which I suppose is what everyone says, whatever their intentions!) and we now all we have to do is wait for the work permit to be issued.

So I'm now one step work legal. There is also another work permit required for the special economic zone (MEPZ II) and we need our residence visas extended for a year.

Then it's over for another year.

-

No comments: