Friday 18 October 2013

Earthquakes - Another First Time Experience

Tuesday was a public holiday in Cebu and started off like all public holidays should ... with a bit of exercise.

I had decided that I had to do something after a really long layoff. Many reasons (and excuses!!) while at home and also since arriving here. We (Carol and I) set off quite early and managed about 4k's  or so at something between a walk and slow jog.

It was pretty hot and I was happy that it was easy. It is also a different experience ... dodging motorcycles, goats, people and dogs as you make you way along. There is also an odd "Hello Sir" "Hello Ma'm" as you shuffle past a friendly local resting on his verandah.

When we got home I did some stretching and then headed off for a shower in the upstairs bathroom. It was interrupted by the sound of what I thought was a plane taking off from the airport. In seconds the sound turned to an earth shattering roar. The floor of the shower started shuddering and then rocking and rolling quite violently. The major impact lasted for about 30 seconds and at the time I was completely unconcerned.

My initial reaction ... it was actually quite a buzz. Fortunately I was completely naive to the potential consequences.

The next thing. Carol was at the door ... wide eyed, rather frightened and very confused. Apparently the thing to do once the shuddering starts is head outside,  which I did notice was the reaction of most of our neighbours. However I was also told, by one of the fellows at work, that the next best thing is to get to the highest floor - the theory being that you will land on top of all the rubble below.

Giving it some thought I think the first option is probably the safest and far less risky?

Thank goodness for the internet. As soon as I was dressed I started Googling "earthquakes". This started a whole new learning experience. I have subscribed to a earthquake warning site. And I now know that we sit very close to the Philippines Fault and how many earthquakes there are a day in the Ring of Fire.

As I sat there aftershock after aftershock could be felt. Some were very minor, a short shudder while others would briefly rattle the doors and windows.They went on all through the day and night and they carried on with varying intensity over the next few days.

With the people at work there was quite a lot of concern about the damage that could be caused by the aftershocks and for the safety of their families so the factory closed at lunch time. The family of one of the guys in our office lives on Bohol island, which was the epicentre of the quake and their house was extensively damaged with collapsed walls and roof.

Earthquake damage in Bohol
Life is certainly going to be really tough for the casualties.

P.S Two weeks after the main earthquake and a number of very strong aftershocks the latest statistics are over 210 people killed and 300 000 displaced.








No comments: