Tuesday 12 January 2016

The Pleasures of Modern Air Travel

After a great holiday in South Africa my flight home to Cebu was a 30 hour nightmare!! 
Traveling premium economy with no upgrade to business class, an absolutely full plane, sitting next to a sniffing, coughing Chinaman who I think also had ADHD (up and down, up and down and muttering to himself). So why don't these people select aisle seats?  And a child just behind who communicated by screaming!!
As we left Joburg the captain announced that due to some wind hassle we would have to refuel in Bangkok. This didn’t sound too bad as I had about a two and a half hour changeover in Hong Kong.
We landed in Bangkok and all was going to plan when there was an announcement that there was an ill passenger and requesting a doctor. After about 30 minutes another announcement that there was some doubt whether the ill passenger was in a condition to continue to Hong Kong.
30 minutes later … she couldn’t continue and she shuffled slowly off the plane with about 3 of her family. 
The next problem. Find the luggage that was located in 3 out of the 7 large, full baggage bins … another 45 minutes. By the time we took off our scheduled arrival in Hong Kong was 2 hours after my departure time to Cebu.
Nothing else to do except stuff down a very unappealing breakfast (the fruit and yogurt weren’t too bad) and see what flight I could get to Cebu.
On arrival the ground crew area was organised chaos. With crowds of passengers having connecting flights anywhere from northern China to Sydney. Not surprisingly I was the only person going to Cebu and I was offered a boarding pass on a flight late on the following afternoon. I "politely" refused and said that I would be going to Cebu today however I had to go!!
Finally I was booked on Philippines Air flights going to Cebu via Manila – eventually arriving in Cebu at about 8pm – 9 hours later than planned.

No comments: