Tuesday 26 November 2013

A Haircut in Cebu

After being here for about 5 weeks it was time to get a haircut. So on Saturday afternoon a friend and I headed off to the nearest Gaisano mall.

He has recently moved from the Philippines to a town just outside Zurich in Switzerland and is suffering badly from cost of living increase shock. So as a result he arrived here with a long, long shopping list.

We went into the hairdresser, which was very busy, some people having their haircut, others sat comfortably while their feet were being indulged in a pedicure. It all seemed very festive and noisy. 

On being told that there was a 30 minute wait we rushed off to the department store to fill his list. As we walked away I noticed another hairdresser nearby which didn't seem to be so busy but was told "we won't go there, it is much more expensive than where we have booked". 

The list had been detailed by his wife and teenage sons. Soon he was darting around from section to section finding the right items in the right brands and colours. After completing a hectic half hour shop we headed back to the hairdresser. Just in time as we were next on the list.

I sat down and had my normal "just tidy it up" haircut which to my surprise was followed by a short head, neck and shoulder massage.

Thanking the young hairdresser I proceeded to the counter to pay. "Thank you sir, 50 pesos". I couldn't believe it. The equivalent of about $1.25!!

As we walked away I asked my friend "how much is a cut at the expensive hairdresser?" he replied casually "80 pesos" (less than $2).

That haircut and massage was certainly outstanding value and a good experience. I'll be back there again. 

No comments: